CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 23, 2009

SK Batang Ai, Lubok Antu

Assalamualaikum wrb,

Right now I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight which has been delayed to 10.30pm. I've been here for only two weeks and I already going home. Imagine the amount of money I need to spend just to come home every holiday. It can go up to thousands of ringgit. huhu... oh well, it's part of learning.

Alhamdulillah, things are much better this week. I am getting better in communicating with the senior teachers. Classroom... err... as usual I have one class which I can't control at all. I am afraid that these children do not learn at all in my class. I go back to the basic with them. I can't even teach sentences as they have so little vocabulary. I'm currently using song, hopefully they will at least learn a few simple words. I think everyone should know that being a teacher is NOT easy. Trust me. Unless you are born with the specialty to win children heart, insyaAllah teaching profession would be much easier for you. As for me, I am struggling to win these children heart. I have tried to be nice, but they decided to play trumpet' in my class. I have tried to be mean but they use the 'i'm ignoring you teacher' tricks. So at the moment I am quite frustrated. I don't know what to do anymore. Most of the teachers said I need to be strict with them.I should yell, hit the tables, hold a cane. But what about Philip and Maxwell. Philip who will not respon to people who are too 'garang'. Maxwell has all the books, but he seems too oocupied to play with Philip. Dublen who decided that learning is not fun. Johnny who never bring his books. And more who do not seem to be interested in learning.

Alhamdulillah the 4Ds are easer to control and teach.

On the other hand, Sri Aman is a very quiet town. The only similarity I could find between Sri Aman and Brisbane is the river. How I wish I could take the boat ride. But that would mean... sekolah yang lebih susah untuk diduduki. I am currently staying in an old house. The house creaks when you are walking. There'll be outage of water once in a blue moon. The truth is, it's not that hard to stay in SK Batang Ai. Once I have adapt, everything falls into places. The kids.... like normal school.. some easier to teach, some I have to rack your brain. Especially when they are still learning their second language and now you are cramming them with another language. Huhu....I think it would be easier if you are teaching something with content. I think it's up to how I plan my lesson. Right now a question struck me, how do I teach without using L2 when they can't even understand L3. I need the L2 for class control (which I feel so hopeless everytime I step out of 3B). Even if I use L2, they can hardly understand my instructions.

Oh well, I guess I have to learn. I am learning to teach. Everyone out there, learn to respect your teacher. Believe it or not, they are trying their best. Imagine standing in a class. 20-40 children calling cikgu cikgu. Nadai pensel (Takda pensel). Cikgu cat (warnakan)? Bedau cikgu bedau (bedau= belum). Cikgu dia nananana. Cikgu dia ambil pensel saya. Cikgu buku saya hilang. Cikgu buku saya tertinggal di rumah. Enggai (tak nak). Lelah (penat). These and many more happening at a time. huhu... SSSSSssssshhhhhh......

I am still learning. I really am.

Till then, wassalam.

3 comments:

mimisyamimi said...

Pah, I know how u feel and i'm absolutely agree with you. I'm also facing the same problem. There's a class where i have 25 orang asli. Most of the Kelantanese students in my class can't really understand and speak English! And they are form 1, 2 and 3. They even pronounce 'are' with the ending "e". So people, being a teacher is NOT EASY!

Rosyada said...

fifa,
i know that helpless feeling.
waktu praktikum dulu pun saya sedih sbb rasa students saya x dpt apa2 waktu belajar BI.
Diaorg asyik nak main je. I failed to control the class. Rasa sgt inadequate.
But, hopefully, they did learn something.
And I'm sure your students are doing some learning as well.
hang in there.
You'kl get through to them.
:-)

Madam Afifah said...

Huhu, never knew that there are soooo many out there who can't even understand simple English. And i thought my experience during practicum was hard enough.

Thanks mi and syada (hugs) iA we'll be able to get through this. (2:286)

The first few baby steps are always hard.