CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2nd year in Sarawak

Salam wrb,

Tada, my journey as an educator in Sarawak for the second has started. I am not sure what to feel. I have left the people who have made my stay here meaningful and so much fun. I did not expect that my stay in LA would be so short. No doubt I do miss them. When I went to the first meeting the other day I tought I was going to die of not talking. Haha.. Felt like I have a voice but I couldn't use it. Now it feels much better because at least I can talk to the kids in class. The staffroom is getting more comfortable just that I need to know the names of my colleagues. I know all I need to more time to adapt to the new school.

Last year, I came to Sarawak with anxiety but I was very excited at the same started. Finally, after studying for five and a half years, I was starting my career as a teacher. However, 12 months down the path, I am finding myself in difficult situations. My classroom management has always been my main problem. This year, I can forsee the same situation too. I didn't know that boys can be chatty too. I think I'll get sore throat due to too much shouting in class and also after one and a half months holiday. Haih what is the best way to make them seat and listen? I have tried shouting, making them standing on the chair, glaring but none work.. Can somebody help me? I don't want another miserable year thinking about uncontrollable and chatty boys.

Besides that, I have never been in school during the first week. I have lots of 'nazir' standing outside the class watching me teaching their kids. I hope the parents now know that managing a class of 40 kids is not easy especially the younger ones because they have just started learning to be disciplined. As usual, just like last year, their favourite place in school is the toilet, haha.

I do know that Allah has His plan when He sent me here: Sarawak. However, honestly, I still do not know what and I am still searching for the answer. All I know is that I am learning to be more independent and standing on my two feet. I have met wonderful people who have taught me about things that I miss in life such as pungut midin, getting the lemon grass staight from the garden (ok I know this is easy but all my life my lemon grass comes from the nearest market), tanam pokok ubi, pluck the freshest daun ubi from the tree and many-many more. Thank you sooo much for not laughing at my kejahilan of suriving in the kampung area as I have always been a 'bandar'ian and also for teaching me the simplest thing. I know that there is a reason for everything. InsyaAllah, my days in Kuching is starting to improve as I get to know my school and housemates better. I am starting to feel more positive too instead of the negative vibes which has been in my head since I knew that I was going to be transferred.

Okie doks, that's all for now. 2010 has arrived. Praying hard that 2010 will be much better than 2009. 2009 has so much memories that is now being kept in another special drawer in my heart wich has been labeled: Lubok Antu, 2009. I am still sharpening my teaching skills. Trying to be better servant of Allah and a better daughter, insyaAllah. I hope it'll be a better year for you too.

Till then, wassalam wrb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

salam. who says managing kids is easy. nobody likes be shouted at. but I would think what matters is what interest them. i dont know, probably things like story telling, games, riddles, gifts etc. rewards them with those if they do good.
wassalam. rj

Madam Afifah said...

yup2.. i am thinking of doing the rewards too. yet to get their name list for the class teacher. tengkiu..