CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

To be or not to be?

After 7 weeks as a trainee teacher in action many of us are starting to ask this question to each other. Will you stay in this profession? We all have had a taste of what being a teacher feels like. Teaching materials, lesson plan, classroom management and many more are some of the factors which are contributing to the reasons to stay or not to stay in the teaching profession.

Some said that ‘I don’t have a life’ right now. I agree to this statement but only to a certain extent. Sure, we do burn midnight oil to do lesson plan and teaching materials. A better person would spend his/ her weekend to make a plan for a whole week. This person has a better week days without the worries of cracking his/her head of what to teach on the next day. I think it is a matter of how you manage your time and life. Then, the issue of ‘I don’t have a life’ will not exist. Not that I am a good planner. Well, there were days that I did not sleep at all just to make sure I know what to teach on the next day. However, I think this is just one part of learning.

Moreover, I believe many of us walk around thinking about his or her class. “What should I teach tomorrow?” This is a common question that everyone asks each other everyday. Maybe this is because we are still the new in this field. So, we are still not sure what kind of activity will suit our students. As what my cooperating teacher always mentions “You still cannot foresee what will happen in the classroom”. It is why some lessons do not work, some happen exactly has been planned and some only work half way.

Besides this issue, we are all still struggling to control the class. “CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT”. This is one big issue echoing in our heads. I think it is easier for men because they have louder voice and their presence itself would be able to control the class. For women, we would have to shout and lay out lots of rules and not forgetting to bribe the students just to make them sit, learn and do their homework. In an A class this would be enough.

In the low level of proficiency class, there is one more element I need to add to the list “Do you understand?” This is one question I ask my students for countless time in every lesson. My students would finish their homework, for the sake of the star which I add every time I get their book. On the other hand, there is another issue rising from this system, I found out that many of them could not understand what I teach all due to one main reason “they could not understand English language”. I would sigh every time I walk out of my class. Sometimes, it is hard enough for me to explain one single sentence. I have put myself in their shoes so that I am able to understand them. This is quite hard for me as sometimes I am not sure which shoe should I wear, the ones who do not understand at all or those who can understand words but is unable to make sentence or the ones who can understand and find the lesson not challenging at all?

Adding to this, we have all seen the workloads of a real teacher. They have 8-10 periods per day while we, trainee teacher, only have 8-10 periods per week. They do not have enough time to make their teaching materials. At this time, many would turn to the materials which are already there. Real teacher will have too many clerical works to do especially a class teacher. Not mentioning other responsibilities such as the secretary of the Teachers Parents Associations, Co-Curriculum and many more. Thus, even though teachers are entitled to be in school from 7.30 a.m. to 1 p.m, teachers do not have enough time for themselves.

Nevertheless, besides all these negatives points of being a teacher, I am enjoying my daily trip to school. I am always looking forward to my next lesson with my class. Maybe it is because I do have enough time for these children. The duration from one class to the other one is always filled with “What should I teach next?”. Sometimes it does not matter whether my lesson work or not, all I want is to go into the class and teach them. Sometimes these words rang in my ear “go into class, teach and love your student – children-” I think this is one of the reason why I love being a teacher, I love my students. From the most obedient to the most naughty I know that they all want to learn because every time I said this magic word they will keep quite and listen to me “Keep quiet, if you want to learn something today”. Every time without failure, my 5D will behave and listen to me.

Undoubtedly, there are still loads for me to learn. For instance, what is the best way to teach 2 Bestari? I dread Wednesdays. This is because I have tried many ways but none works to keep them on task and to make them listen to me. There is still one boy I am unable to handle. My lesson plans some times does not happen the way I have planned and many more. However, these will not be the reason for me to leave teaching profession. At this moment if you ask whether I am considering of changing my carrier I would say loud and clear “No”. This is simply because I love being a teacher. My advice would be “Go teach and love your students”.

I know the secondary teachers have more things to consider such as managing students who do not want to learn and respect you as a teacher. I do not have answers to those questions. Maybe the ones with experience would be able to help you. At the moment, I am dreading to the final day of practicum. Yet, there are still lots of observation coming and I need to prepare myself with lesson plan with quality. “Good luck teacher Afifah. I hope you will a better teacher in the future.”

0 comments: