CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 17, 2010

60's Eid

Salam wrb,

I hope it's not too late to wish everyone Eid Mubarak! I hope everyone had a great reunion with family, relatives and friends. Alhamdulillah, this year's celebration is so much merrier because everyone is home except akak (who hopefully will be home during the next Eid! insyaAllah). Alhamdulillah just like the preparations in the previous years, my family and I get to wear new raya clothes, buy various types of raya cookies and also prepare
sambal goreng, kuah lodeh and ketupat. I always forget on how lucky I am, that every year without fail Allah blessed me with all these wonderful gift which I always regard as 'biasa je'. I often fail to be grateful to count these blessings that Allah has showered me. The truth is I always take things for granted and while I know the fact I should be a grateful servant of Allah I still whine, complain, grumble and moan for unnecessary reasons.

This really struck me when
mak told me about her Eid celebration during her childhood. According to emak, when she was young it was very hard to get a proper meal. There was even a Ramadhan that even when the azan has been heard and they had nothing on the table to eat. Suddenly a bai roti passed by their house. Bak (my late grandfather whom I've never met) went to the bai roti and asked the kind bai roti if he could give some bread as sadaqah for his children to eat. Imagine eating bread ~only~ for breaking-fast. They even had to share. I wonder how much roti did they get to eat then. Now, during iftar my dining table was always loaded with food of all kind which I bought at the bazaar Ramadhan. Often, when we are too full during iftar, these food will be wasted. Ouch!!!

Beside that, they also get new
baju raya once every 7 years!!!! Mak said that she was very excited to get new baju raya that before she slept all she thought about was the new baju raya. She even woke up in the middle of the night just to look at the baju kurung ~ to make sure that it is there for her to wear on the 1st Syawal. On 1st Syawal, my mum and aunties will go from house to house in their school shoes. Being children, they looked forward to receiving the angpow. She said usually after getting around $1.50 they'll go to a shop to buy a pair of slipper each. Guess what, the new slippers is their 'kasut raya' . Honestly, I cannot imagine me visiting my relatives in my school shoes. Err... kasut sekolah jadi kasut raya? But then, my mum and aunties were very happy with these little things. These piece of good fortune which now seem like nothing was like a blessing from Allah. They were grateful even though all they had was a pair new of slippers to wear during Eid.

Emak studied hard due to this hardship. She said "M
ak pikir, hmmm... susahnya hidup. Jadi mak belajar betul-betul. Mak gile belajar. Mase tu mak dengan kawan mak tak boleh tengok perkataan U sebab kitorang gila nak pergi Universiti. Setiap hari sampai pukul 1 pagi mak belajar, belajar, belajar, belajar. Petang-petang belajar kat National Library sampai 8 malam". Alhamdulillah, Allah granted her wish and she got to continue her study in UKM.

Because of this,
my life was never hard. There is always enough food for me to eat. Even my job seems to fall into my arms. All I had to do was to study hard. With the salary that I get every month, I am able to pay the house rent, bills, put food on the table and once in a while, to indulge in something. My salary does not allow me to live lavishly but insyaAllah enough for my needs. I think I should always count my blessing when I am about to complain or moan. I should always say ALHAMDULILLAH.

Relating to this entry, mak told me she often mentioned during her school assembly
"Saya ni kalau dapat kemudahan macam awak, sekarang ni saya dah jadi professor dah!"

What I really learn is for many times it's not that we are unable to do it, it's just that we do not have the spirit to do it. In simpler sentence "
Yang lemah bukannya badan, tapi sebenarnya semangat yang lemah!" Hehe, maybe I should strive to be a profesor =P InsyaAllah.

Till then, wassalam wrb.

0 comments: