There were days that I whine for the work loads that we teachers have to complete. There are hundreds of minutes to be completed. Many times, we have to do irrelevant tasks like creating a room which will only be left untouched and dusty. Meetings too are way too long where you listen to the same thing over and over again.
Nevertheless, one thing that I can never get tired off is my kids. Yup, my cute monsters (Afifah, 2007). I created this term back when I was doing my practicum where my classroom management was zero. I struggled for the first three years of teaching. There were times that I felt as if I'm not made for this. There were also days I felt like giving up on them. But even though I have to handle and discipline these little monsters, these little kids that I meet everyday are undeniably cute. No matter how you scold them, they are always ready to love you. (But beware, even when they love you, it doesn't mean that they will write neatly and listen to your instructions. They are kids, what do you expect from them?)
Example 1
Venue: 2 Sri 4
I'm trying to improve my kids' reading skills and currently I am focusing on phonetic skills. Each of them has a book of alphabet where they will spell the words that I say according to the sound that they hear. As I was writing on the board, a boy, Kuganeswaran who has never failed to make me yell each day and despite of the scoldings he received each day, he will always smile when I scold him.
Kuga: Teacher you love us right?
Miss Afifah : Yes... ( while facing to the board writing something)
Kuga: Teacher, you love me right?
Miss Afifah: eh?
Boy 1: Eeeee.... takkanlah teacher sayang Kuga sorang je
Miss Afifah: (Decided not to entertain Kuga anymore) Kuga, keep quiet and do your work.
Kuga: Alah teacher, I know you love me one...
Example 2
Venue: 1 Sri 2
This is a very active class. Many of the teachers complain of their hyperactiveness. It is very hard to control them They love to talk, they love to walk. When you are teaching, they always find something else in the pencil box which they find more interesting than the lesson like the erasers, scissors, ruler, etc.
As I walked into the classroom,
Amirul Fahim : I love you teacher
Miss Afifah : I love you too (^_^)
The truth is, it is them who keeps me going each day. Yes, sometimes I do have to drag myself to class, but I do love them. Each year, I have to attend different clients but each of them is unique in their own way. Even the most active class where there are more boys compared to girls, which is extremely hard for me to handle, there will always be at least one boy or girl who will be my favourite. Surprisingly, usually the hardest to control will always be the one whom I adore the most.
Yes, I am thankful to Allah for landing me on this job. There is always something new to learn each day. Alhamdulillah, thank you Allah.
Yes, I do whine. I do complain. Some days I walk into the class with a smile on my face but walk out feeling extremely angry. Some days I walked out of a class feeling satisfied. Sometimes I feel helpless of my incapability. But hey, these are the ups and downs in my job. They spice up my life. And they make my life interesting.
Till then, wassalam wrb.

0 comments:
Post a Comment