Last Tuesday, my zon had academic competitions among the schools in this zon: Zon Lubok Antu. I was assigned to train a year 4 student to participate in the story telling competition.
I had seen vast improvement in her since the first day until the day of the tournament. Her pronunciation improved and she became more confident as the competition day came nearer. She is a darling. Easy to teach and will try her best to do what I wanted her to do.
So, we practiced and practiced and practiced. Oh yeah btw, the story that she presented was The Gruffalo. Her mum was excited too. She is one of my colleagues. She is very supportive too. If I said that we are going to stay back until 6pm, she’ll wait for E until 6pm.
All goes well. We practiced for many many times.
Tick tick tick tock…
One month has passed and the day of the competition came….
On the day of the competition E was all ready to perform with her costume and everything. I was nervous too. It felt as if I was going to tell the story on the stage. Haha… anyway, when it was E’s turn, she perform as what we have rehearsed everyday.
However, E only managed to get number 4. She was devastated. Her mum told me on the next day that she cried for a long time in the bathroom. Imagine a ten year old being heart broken. But it’s all part of a competition. Some people win and some people lose. This is it’s just not our turn to win the competition.
One of my colleagues who was one of the judges of the story telling competition told me that:
a) (in the Malaysian story telling competition), the story teller cannot move too much. Yup that’s right… I think the participant is only allowed to move on the spot. Huhu.. so it as no E’ fault. My friend and I taught her to make full use of the stage. However, Mrs S (E’s mum) told me that at the state level, the participant is allowed to make full use of the stage. So, I don’t really know which one to follow. It is only my first story telling competition, I couldn’t give much comment about how it is run locally. Now, every time I imagine a story telling competition, a picture of at ease position in a marching where we are allowed to move from waist and above came to my mind.
b) Please choose story with less dialogues. One of the judges commented that: She is not telling a story, she is mimicking the characters in the story. I was like “WHAT!!!” (Ok, maybe I am being defensive). Apparently, The Gruffalo has too much dialogue and characters.
Oh well, there are more years to come. I’m not disappointed that E lost the competition. It is only my first time. E to has two more years to participate. I think its ok, she’ll learn to accept defeat. You can’t win in every round right? It’s part of growing up.
I’m observing and still learning from the teachers around me. I just thought that I could share my experience with you in case you would like to use The Gruffalo in a story telling competition too.
I had seen vast improvement in her since the first day until the day of the tournament. Her pronunciation improved and she became more confident as the competition day came nearer. She is a darling. Easy to teach and will try her best to do what I wanted her to do.
So, we practiced and practiced and practiced. Oh yeah btw, the story that she presented was The Gruffalo. Her mum was excited too. She is one of my colleagues. She is very supportive too. If I said that we are going to stay back until 6pm, she’ll wait for E until 6pm.
All goes well. We practiced for many many times.
Tick tick tick tock…
One month has passed and the day of the competition came….
On the day of the competition E was all ready to perform with her costume and everything. I was nervous too. It felt as if I was going to tell the story on the stage. Haha… anyway, when it was E’s turn, she perform as what we have rehearsed everyday.
However, E only managed to get number 4. She was devastated. Her mum told me on the next day that she cried for a long time in the bathroom. Imagine a ten year old being heart broken. But it’s all part of a competition. Some people win and some people lose. This is it’s just not our turn to win the competition.
One of my colleagues who was one of the judges of the story telling competition told me that:
a) (in the Malaysian story telling competition), the story teller cannot move too much. Yup that’s right… I think the participant is only allowed to move on the spot. Huhu.. so it as no E’ fault. My friend and I taught her to make full use of the stage. However, Mrs S (E’s mum) told me that at the state level, the participant is allowed to make full use of the stage. So, I don’t really know which one to follow. It is only my first story telling competition, I couldn’t give much comment about how it is run locally. Now, every time I imagine a story telling competition, a picture of at ease position in a marching where we are allowed to move from waist and above came to my mind.
b) Please choose story with less dialogues. One of the judges commented that: She is not telling a story, she is mimicking the characters in the story. I was like “WHAT!!!” (Ok, maybe I am being defensive). Apparently, The Gruffalo has too much dialogue and characters.
Oh well, there are more years to come. I’m not disappointed that E lost the competition. It is only my first time. E to has two more years to participate. I think its ok, she’ll learn to accept defeat. You can’t win in every round right? It’s part of growing up.
I’m observing and still learning from the teachers around me. I just thought that I could share my experience with you in case you would like to use The Gruffalo in a story telling competition too.

5 comments:
takper...
boleh regsiter masuk Tom Tom Bak
oh bestnye train story telling dr public speaking!
ala sedihnye!
The Gruffalo...hmm...sedey lak...aku first time tau psl cite tu mse kat East Brisbane State School...cikgu klas aku bace buku tu kat bdk2 pas lunch...nak gi skolah tu blk :(
lepas ni g lah masuk pertandingan chess plak :P
buat layang-layang ke
haha ape2 jer lah.. asalkan budak2 tu tgh buat something
Post a Comment