CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 07, 2009

Putting on my thinking cap

Assalamualaikum wrb,

I attended a short course organised by the PPD for selected English teachers in Sri Aman and Lubok Antu. Alhamdulillah, I'm glad that I was selected to attend this course. In the past 7 months, I have been wondering and finding the best way to teach writing to my kids. Everytime I do writing, I am the one who produced the first and the final product and deep down in my heart I know that they are not learning any writing skills. I was just hoping that they'll get familiar with the sentence pattern and somehow, miracles will happen and they are able to produce their own sentence. I was like how can I teach writing when they can't even understand simple words? They can't even connect the words to form meaningful sentence. That's why for countless time I am the one who produce the final product.

My TnL has also become a monotonous pattern. Go into class, put something on the board, the kids copy them down. Do a little bit of reading (read: reading not speaking) and then when my time is up, I'll stand in front of the class and say "Thank You class" with a big smile because the class has ended. It has become a routine that I myself am bored with this stupid routine. And it has only been SEVEN MONTHS. hello...SEVEN MONTHS. I've been wondering how did people stay in this field for many many many years.

Well, during the course I met two very passionate and motivated lecturers. They love teaching. They enjoy being a teacher. I was 'WOW'wed by them. Honestly, I am. I do really take my hat off to them for the wonderful time. They say things like

Teaching is about being creative.

At the end of the day before you leave the staff room, sit back and think "How have I been different today?"

And many more that I can't remember......

One year ago, I criticse those teachers who teach the traditional way of teaching: chalk and talk. Now, one year later, I have become one of those teachers. If I am not motivated and passionate about being a teacher and educating these kids, how can I touch their heart? Like one of Dr. Rajagopal's famous quotation "touch the mind, touch the heart".

"You'll get back what you give"
Yes, I'll get back whatever I give. If I don't put my heart and soul into this I don't think I'll ever be a good teacher. I used to love being a teacher during practicum. I had great time with my kids then (Besides the fact that I had yao with me then). I think I have to re-learn to love being a teacher. One thing which really demotivate me is my bad classroom management. I don't blame the kids. Hello, what do you expect from a 7 and 9 years old? (To sit and listen? Haha yeah right.) I'll blame myself for that. Haih... I used to think that being a teacher is great fun. Why? Simply because I get to go to school everyday (I used to love going to school). Now? Err... (I can't wait for the next holiday).

Something to think about right? I remember that abah used to say "Dulu masa abah mula2 jadi cikgu pun, abah banyak kerja jugak. Jadi tu la.. jadi nilah... Tapi sebab kita dah suka apa yang kita buat kan.. Kasi ape pun takpe. Kite buat je lah." True la abah. I know that I am still taking baby steps. Wouldn't say that it is easy. I hope that I'll be able to crawl or even walk soon. Well, I'll never be able to run IF I don't change my mindset and break this boring routine that I have.

I love my job. I love my job. I love my job (Sure or not...)

Till then, wassalam.

3 comments:

mimisyamimi said...

Pah, dis entry kinda give a slap on my face. kind of "Mimi, wake up!!"
hehe~ dat's a good question "How have i been different today?"

i can answer that question only for my form 1 students. not with the form 3 (weaker classes)

i love teaching form1 coz they are not really terikat with the exam. still can main2 a bit. so, i think they enjoy my english class and i enjoy teaching them coz they'll ask me "teacher, kite main ape plak ari ni?"

all d best Pah. Hope that we will istiqamah dalam perjuangan ini. Amin.

Madam Afifah said...

haha I was struck for quit a few times during the course. Glad that you are able to play games with the kids...

Huhu... Semoga Allah permudahkan untuk mi jugak..

~Hugs

Rosyada said...

i have to relearn the joys of teaching too...

i'm turning into a chalk-and-talk teacher too... huhu